THE COMMITTE ON BUDGETARY FORECASTS
The Committee on Budgetary Forecasts is tasked with assessing macroeconomic and budgetary forecasts prepared by the Ministry of Finance, particularly in terms of their likelihood of fulfilment. These forecasts are used not only by the state but also by state contributory organisations, state funds, public universities, health insurance companies, and other public institutions when drawing up budgets and medium-term budgetary outlooks. The Ministry of Finance is obliged to disclose the Committee’s assessment and reflect it in its forecasts.
The Committee on Budgetary Forecasts was established based on Act No. 23/2017 Coll., on the rules of budgetary responsibility, and its membership is an honorary role. It must comprise at least seven members, appointed by the government on a proposal of the Czech Fiscal Council. The term of a Budgetary Committee member is three years.
The current Committee on Budgetary Forecast consists of nine members and includes leading Czech economists from the private, public, and academic sectors. In April 2018, the chief economist of UniCredit Bank, Pavel Sobíšek, was appointed Chairman of the Committee.
Composition of the Committee on Budgetary Forecasts:
Chairman: RNDr. Pavel SOBÍŠEK, Chief Economist of UniCredit Bank
Vice-Chairman: PhDr. Jakub Seidler, Ph.D., Chief Economist of ING Bank for the Czech Republic
Members (in alphabetical order):
- Ing. Petr Král, Director of the Currency Division, Czech National Bank
- Ing. Karina Kubelková, Ph.D., MBA, Chief Analyst and Head of Analysis of the Chamber of Commerce of the Czech Republic
- Ing. Martin Kupka, CSc., Chief Economist of ČSOB
- doc. Ing. Daniel Münich, Ph.D., Deputy Director for Research CERGE-EI and Executive Director of the IDEA think tank at CERGE-EI
- doc. Ing. Tomáš Pavelka, Ph.D., Macroeconomy Analyst of the Czech-Moravian Confederation of Trade Unions
- Mgr. Michal Skořepa, Ph.D., Macroeconomy Analyst of Česká spořitelna
- Ing. Jan Vejmělek, Ph.D., CFA, Chief Economist of Komerční banka